Eating Healthy and Breaking the Bank

September 29, 2009 by

I typically make a conscious effort to make relatively healthy meals for the boys.  From day one I had vowed that I would offer them as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I could.  They have developed a love for just about any fresh fruit except cantaloupe, and love just about any vegetables. But, the reality is that, eating healthy is expensive.

What I have found, is that it is getting increasingly difficult to buy fresh produce for us, without literally spending $60 to $100 per week in efforts to get fresh things to prepare. You would honestly think that the cost to buy fresh, would be a little more reasonable than buying all these processed foods. Something in this country is very backwards. If we made the healthier choices more accessible, I would think that insurance costs would go down (less cardiac disease, less diabetes, and cancers). If people had more incentive to eat fresher foods, the benefits to their health are enormous and it might save this nation some money and make insurance more affordable.

I personally think realistically, that we are too far gone in this world of “get it now and convenience” to truthfully go back. When it comes right down to brass tax, we want everything right now, in the fastest manner possible and eating fresher foods just simply requires more time and effort. As a Mom, this isn’t what’s always best but I am also hard pressed to save a buck. It is dizzying to see how many of us spend sometimes hours in the grocery store with stacks full of coupons to feed our families, but I can guarantee none of those coupons offer a dime off of fresh produce. It’s an admitted rush to leave the store with $200 worth of groceries for $100, even though it can live in our pantries for years, is it really all that healthy? It is no wonder why people are unhealthy, they can’t afford to eat whats actually good for them! One of my favorite places to shop is Whole Foods (I love love love this place!), but with the economy and money being tight, I can only make a trip there as a treat rather than a weekly visit.

I am all for indulgence and I certainly don’t deny my kids the occasional chips or cupcake and I even make dinners from a box, but I would love to have a coupon for lettuce, broccoli, and some of the things that their body actually needs. Local grocery stores should make these coupons available and I bet they would draw in more customers. Eating healthy should be rewarded not a financial burden.

Comments

8 Responses to “Eating Healthy and Breaking the Bank”
  1. Kendahl says:

I totally agree! I’ve been trying to buy more healthy lately and it seems like my average grocery bill went up by about 30%. It seems so backwards.

2. LeeChrista says:

Do you have any co ops in your area where you can buy in for a low price and then pick up from a truck? I know a lot of people who do this. Also, JuicePlus.com is the way we get vegetables and fruits into our kids because they honestly don’t eat anything healthy.

Lee :)

3. You are not alone. I completely agree with you. I simply can not afford to buy fresh fruits/vegetables. It is sad that we are forced to eat this way instead of the way we choose. Something needs to change but sadly I agree with what you said – I doubt it will.

4. Amanda says:

That’s why people flock to the 10 for $10 on sale Hamburger Helper that you can then make with $1.99 cheap ground beef if you’re on a really tight budget. And yet all sorts of “experts” wonder why we as a nation are overweight. It’s from making all the processed foods more affordable.

5. Laurie says:

The hard part is that mine actually love all of it. I brought home a fresh fruit bowl one evening for the next day and the two of them had it gone in the same night. They actually prefer it over anything else. It makes it so frustrating because I love to go and buy it each week but just can’t do it.

6. Lisa P says:

I absolutely agree! It is way to expensive to eat healthy. I know I sacrifice a lot to be able to buy fresh foods, and I would love to be able to afford more but you are right in that there is hardly any discount/coupons available for them.

7. Nancy says:

Try going to your local farmer’s market to shop for produce! You can buy things there much cheaper than in the grocery stores and you are buying local to boot!

8. Staci A says:

I hate buying fruit and veggies at the supermarket. The prices are ridiculous! It would be so nice to see them offered at affordable prices.

We’re lucky to have farmers markets nearby, as well as the room to grow a lot of things on our own.

The other thing you can check out is Angel Food Ministries. You can order food through them and add on the fruit & veg option. It’s a pretty good deal!