Veggie Garden

May 27, 2011 by
Filed under Featured, General

Each year I get a little more adventurous with my vegetable garden, and there is something nice about growing your own fresh veggies for your family.  Not only is it fun, everything just tastes so much better when it comes straight from your garden.

Trisha over at momdot, is growing some wonderful things in her family garden.  It seems she is ahead of the game, but I haven’t been too lucky with any early harvests yet.  The weather for the most part here, has been cold and rather rainy, so everything is off to a slow start.

I thought I would give you all a sneak peek though.  Everything is indeed growing, and I think it is just my impatience that has taken over that has me out there telling everything to hurry it up.  I did get to enjoy my first salad with some lettuce, and it was yummy!

So here ya go, in the garden, cauliflower, broccoli, peas (regular shelling/garden peas, and sugar snap) they are the one vigorously climbing the trellis.  I have pole beans (also climbers), cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, asparagus (wont be ready till next year), cilantro, parsley, thyme, rosemary, basil, and oregano.  Up by the house, I have Stuttgarter onions (yellow onion), more tomatoes, more cucumbers, and red peppers.

Here they all are growing in various stages but doing well.  The fence is for the bunnies to stay out, and the white ties are fabric softener sheets to deter the deer.  I also have a motion detector sprinkler that I am getting ready to put back up, otherwise bambi and his friends will eat every blessed thing I have.

Lettuce and Peas Doing Their Thing

Broccoli and Herbs

Both Gardens Side By Side

What are you growing this year in your garden?  What are your favorite veggies?  I plan on doing some canning this year if I get enough.

Comments

14 Responses to “Veggie Garden”
  1. trisha says:

wow, your lettuce looks amazing!!!!

2. That looks awesome! Lucky you! Or little garden is not doing too well due to the heavy rains we have been having :( I want sun!

3. Deborah says:

We have a big garden we plant every year. Some things do really well and some not so good. Love fresh veggies. The do taste so much better when you grow them yourself.

4. Rachel says:

That lettuce is GORGEOUS!

We have one small garden box with mainly heat tolerant stuff — how do you deal with squirrels? That’s our biggest issue right now. . . they’re eating every stinkin’ tomato!

5. Laurie says:

Rachel,
    I don’t have much problem with squirrels, but I also have a Golden Retriever that chases most things out of the yard. I didn’t think squirrels liked the garden but maybe they have secretly enjoyed some things in mine LOL

6. monique says:

We’re growing 2 kinds of strawberries, green bell peppers, watermelon, 2 kinds of peppermint, 3 kinds of tomatoes. I think that’s it.

7. Wow, you’re getting really impressive results over there! I’ve never tried to grow a veggie garden!

8. Yogi says:

You all are going to make me start a garden. When is the best time to start?

9. Wow, I’m so impressed! That looks like a ton of work.

10. Wow! That is a nice sized garden!

11. Katie says:

looks like it’s coming along really well!

12. JulieD says:

Wow, I’m so jealous/proud of your garden! I’m definitely building a little plot next year, I’m seeing so many gardens, all I do is herbs but that’s gonna change next year. :)

13. I am hoping to do a raised bed in the spring!

14. I’ve been wanting to start one for years now. Maybe one day.