No Speak English at the Grocery Store

January 16, 2012 by

I have a tiny little rant.  I was at the store looking for something and another product caught my eye.  I was attempting to read the front of the packaging so I could find out the information I needed and the specifics.

I stood there for several minutes flipping the box around at all angles to find the instructions in plain English.  I am running across things in our stores where the first language I see is something other than my own.  Last time I checked, I wasn’t visiting in a foreign country, but it sure felt like it.  After looking hard, and looking long, I found the description I needed in English in a tinier print than all the rest on a product made here.

I don’t know about you, but this completely irks me.  Last time I checked, I was in the good ole U S of A and the language spoken here is English, LAST TIME I CHECKED.  I understand we are a melting pot of individuals and cultures but seriously? When in Rome, do and speak as the Romans do.  When I visit other countries, I don’t see any special provisions for myself on product shelving.

When did this become so bass ackwards?   Keep the foreign language classes as electives in the classroom, and let me grocery shop without feeling like I have to enroll in French or Spanish just to do so.  Maybe, I have a strong opinion, but this should not be happening.

Rant Over Amen! Or Should I say…. Despotricar Sobre Amén?

Comments

24 Responses to “No Speak English at the Grocery Store”
  1. I agree I’m so with you on that one. When I buy a product I don’t want to hunt for the freekin directions in English either. i’m not sure who they are trying to market stuff to but honestly if I have to hunt for ENGLISH I’ll walk out of your store

That happened to me last week. I was looking at a product for it’s nutritional info, and it wasn’t in English.

3. I guess it just doesn’t bother me if the labeling does have the information in English somewhere. But, I like to shop the Asian and Mexican aisle’s of the grocery store.

4. I wouldn’t buy from those companies again. That is obnoxious.

It’s becoming more and more of a necessity to be bilingual in the U.S.

6. It’s horrible here near the border. Everything is done in English and Spanish.

We’ve had that issue before. LOL

8. Lolo says:

I think it okay to have things in other languages, but they should also have English. On another note, I so wish I was bilingual!

I fully agree and will not purchase anything marketed or packaged without English directions, titles, etc. unless it’s specifically an item I need for a dish and I know what to expect. Can you believe my Walmart here in Las Vegas had a HUGE display of chocolate Frosted Flakes where the entire box was in Spanish?

10. Wait…there was no English on the package? I understand making it in multiple languages so that they can distribute to various companies, but English should be included if they’re selling the product here.

11. Jennifer says:

this is SO annoying!

12. I grew up in Miami and find myself living here again after a decade. This is very common place here -but not just in the stores. It’s everywhere from street signs ect so I don’t think nothing of it.

I also speak three languages so that helps when you can actually understand what’s written on the package.

I’m sure it makes you feel very alienated which is SO not cool!

13. I got used to it quickly in Arkansas b/c we lived in a heavy hispanic populated area so it doesn’t really bother me. I too like Virginia also shop a lot in the asian/mexican sections so it’s second nature to me LOL.

14. I agree that it’s okay to have more than one language on a package, but at least one of them should be English!

English should be included on the packaging!!!

16. Karen says:

No English at all?

Crazy how many languages they have on things now But to have no English?? Loopy! ! I completely agree.

18. It doesn’t really bother me if the english is smaller than the rest, as long as it’s there :)

I understand where you’re coming from!

20. That happens to me sometimes, and I’m thinking what the heck?

I feel like Spanish is going to be needed everywhere soon and I’ll be clueless.. sigh.

22. Try living in South Florida. People look at you wierd because I don’t speak spanish!!

23. I usually get excited that I want to try something that is probably ethnic and something I have not tried :-)