Change

February 7, 2012 by

I haven’t been posting much because I was going through a temporary thing where I was lost in thought.  Since becoming a mom, I have many days or periods of time where I think about things that are going on, as well as the future.  There was one thing I briefly touched on earlier in one of my postings, about the boys heading off to kindergarten.  The moment is both exciting as a parent and is somewhat dreaded.  It is hard to let your children go, parents all over the world struggle with the same thing I am sure.

Registration for the upcoming school year is about to begin, and I will admit that it doesn’t really thrill me all that much.  If I had the choice to home school the boys I would definitely consider the option.  For me, I lack some of the organization, patience and know how.  I also feel like the boys have a hard time sitting down with mom and ultimately focusing enough to do lessons on a larger scale.

There is debate surrounding the home school idea, about kids not being socialized etc.  Having never stepped foot inside of a daycare or preschool,  my boys are already quite the opposite and chatter any kids arm off, and make new friends at any playground or soccer game.  Anyone on the other side of the fence will argue their points just as well, I am not one to debate.

When it comes down to it, the truth is I don’t enjoy sending them off for a large portion of the day, just so I can get my stuff done, so I can take a break, so I can enjoy my free time.  I hear many parents say, how much they enjoy the “free time” or that they are so glad their kids are out of their hair.  The fact is, I will miss seeing them play, interact, learn and slipping me the surprise kisses and I love yous all day long.  It will be someone else watching them learn and play and grow while I am here at home wondering what they are doing.  For me it feels like I’m feeding my kids to the wolves.  School has a lot of good things, but it also has some negative.

I think it will be an adjustment for everyone, and probably for me most of all.  I might have a cleaner house, laundry caught up and dinner on the table exactly at 5pm, but in my mind, I don’t know if what I am missing is worth all of that.  I will be crying in the school parking lot, you bet I will.  The moment will be so full of emotion.

I love you my sweet boys.

Comments

28 Responses to “Change”
  1. Jennifer says:

When my daughter went to school I didn’t think twice about it. I love my kids dearly but I would go crazy if I didn’t have a few hours to myself everyday

2. My kids have always been in a child care/school setting. The next six months will different, my daughter will be staying home with me. I wonder how I will do.

3. The first day is really hard, but it gets easier hun!

4. awww I used to think just like you and the further I get in the school year the more I realize how much they need the education and time away and I need to be able to get the things done around the house before they get home so that my time can be dedicated to them the very few hours we have left in the day before they head off to sleep.

Hang in there mama.

Kindergarten was hard for me. :) My son is in the 3rd grade now, but we are planning to homeschool him during the middle school years. Fingers crossed it goes well. :)

When my kids went to school on their first day, it was hard on me. My kids loved it, but I really missed them.

7. I felt the same way with each of mine’s first day but now they I have learned what I can get done while they are gone I learn to love that time and then love the time with them even more :)

8. (((Hugs)))

I will be homeschooling mine.

9. Me too, I don’t want to get rid of my kids for a break…I love being busy with them!

10. You sound so much like me! I cried all the way through college after every single break,even long weekends. I TOTALLY understand. (And I still cry every time I have to leave them.)

I hope everything calms down for you soon! I know it’s hard when your kids are growing up.

So understandable!

sending Zoe to school is bringing on many of the same questions. I wish I had the organization to home school her but I don’t so she’s off to publick Kindergarten and I wonder if she’s going to be ok

14. I had much worse separation anxiety than my son did.

15. I thought I’d have a hard time when my first son went to school. I thought he’d have a hard time too. He didn’t. You’ll see, all will be okay.

I still have one child at home. My oldest goes to school all day and my middle child goes half day for Kindergarten. I always say do what is right for YOU and that is the best choice. I personally can not WAIT until they’re all in school for full day.

best of luck. it’s not easy.. change never is :(

The first day is hard but its worth it in the end.

19. Melissa Au says:

It was harder for me for my girls than boys…not sure why.

I homeschooled my son for a few years. He got plenty of socialization.

21. My favorite was when he was in half-day school. He got some socializing in, I got some work done, and we got to spend time together too.

22. Karen says:

I know I am not disciplined enough for homeschooling. I wish I could say I was, but I also think my oldest with special needs(Autism) has greatly benefited from public school. I also miss him during the day and I am always really glad for Summer break to roll around. You hang in there and do what’s best for your family and you will not go wrong!

23. Lolo says:

I know the feeling. You should have seen me when I had to drop my little guy off at daycare for the first time.

Are you feeling any better about Kindergarten?

25. My mom once gave me the advice that to raise children you need to give them two gifts. Roots and Wings. You gave them amazing roots, now it is time to help they spread their wings a little! Hugs!

26. It does get easier as the school year goes along :)

27. Dawn C says:

It’s hard but it does get easier. I am not sold on the whole public schooling thing but I know my kids want to be there. And I lack organization so my kids are better off getting most of their schooling with a teacher and I hit on the finer points while they are home.

28. VE says: