Caffeine

March 8, 2012 by

I am not a regular drinker of caffeine.  I mostly drink some Sprite, water or milk.  I was driving to the grocery store yesterday and have been feeling particularly sluggish when it dawned on me that the problem may be the caffeine.  I have been drinking a regular coke here and there, probably more than I should, and I am thinking the caffeine is making me tired!  After I drink it, it rampls me up for a few hours, but coming down from that, I feel horribly sluggish.  I am almost convinced that this drug makes you want more just to keep up the high of being alert.

After reading about it on wikipedia, I no longer think I want to have much of it.

Caffeine is a bitter, white crystallinexanthinealkaloid that acts as a stimulant drug. Caffeine is found in varying quantities in the seeds, leaves, and fruit of some plants, where it acts as a natural pesticide that paralyzes and kills certain insects feeding on the plants. It is most commonly consumed by humans in infusions extracted from the seed of the coffee plant and the leaves of the tea bush, as well as from various foods and drinks containing products derived from the kola nut.

Does this sound all that good for us?  I  hear every day that someone needs their morning coffee to get going or otherwise their day isn’t going to go so well.  At the same rate, it’s no wonder that we are a bunch of addicts because we are all workaholics too.  We work more than most people in the whole country, and get no vacation.  I wonder if we were a more rested society, if we would have so many caffeine addicted people?

In humans, caffeine acts as a central nervous system stimulant, temporarily warding off drowsiness and restoring alertness. It is the world’s most widely consumed psychoactive drug, but, unlike many other psychoactive substances, it is both legal and unregulated in nearly all parts of the world. Beverages containing caffeine, such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, and energy drinks, enjoy great popularity; in North America, 90% of adults consume caffeine daily.

Withdrawal symptoms—including headache, irritability, inability to concentrate, drowsiness, insomnia, and pain in the stomach, upper body, and joints—may appear within 12 to 24 hours after discontinuation of caffeine intake, peak at roughly 48 hours, and usually last from one to five days.    *source wikipedia*

I probably will still enjoy my occasional bottled coke, but will lay off the caffeine in general.  I think it just makes me feel a million times worse than the initial burst of energy I get from drinking it.  Do you drink caffeine every day?

Comments

37 Responses to “Caffeine”

I usually only drink water. I’m not a caffeine person.

2. I’m guilty of being a caffeine addict. I get major migraines if I don’t start my day with caffeine…

I can’t handle it daily, but I do enjoy my Iced Caramel Lattes :)

I have to admit I drink a lot of caffiene and definitely feel the withdrawals.

5. well that explains it. I was trying to cut my self done to 1 can of pepsi a day and I was feeling like poop looks like I’m going through withdrawls Lol

6. Jennifer says:

I can’t do coffee every day… or once a week. but I am guilty of my daily Pepsi

7. Every Morning I have to have at least one large cup of coffee, I do not drink to much more after that, I do not drink pop ever.. :-)

8. I can’s live without it. I’m retired from Starbucks and although caffeine doesn’t look good for you, the anti-oxidents in coffee will trump the caffeine effects.

9. I had caffeine recently and it gave my newborn acid reflux…felt so bad about it :(

I drink caffeine daily with one cup of strong coffee every morning. I will never give that up!

11. I’d rather have the coffee over the coke. Coke has so many more chemicals in it.

I’m addicted too!

13. Lolo says:

That is my husband. He needs his fix in the a.m. I am not a coffee fan, but I do love Diet Coke.

14. I actually get a headache i I don;t have my morning burst of caffeine. Probably not a good thing!

15. I am trying ot get better about not drinking caffeine.

Like you, I will have a Sprite once in awhile. However, it’s mostly juice, water, or tea.

17. I drink coffee daily, and you wouldn’t want to know me if I couldn’t have my cup of Joe.

18. Karen says:

I am sadly a caffeine drinker! I like coca-cola!

19. I’m addicted to diet coke – it’s bad!

20. Megan says:

It took me forever to get over my caffeine addiction and I never will go back to it.

I love my coffee and tea (and it’s good for ya)! I drink lots of water, too, though.

I don’t drink caffeine, but very cool info about it!

23. I love caffeine in my diet pop, but if I have too much (like Pepsi Max) I will crash very hard.

24. Kathleen says:

I drank regular diet coke with caffeine like a crazy person up to the day I transferred for this surrogacy and then I quit cold turkey. I don’t miss it at all now and will not go back to drinking it after the baby is born.

The thumbnail picture is adorable.

26. Thought I would come back and pin this :-)

27. I drank a cup of cofee before nursing my son, and he got acid reflux. I felt so bad :( I love coffee, but not if it will hurt my son.

28. Dawn C says:

I have to have my coffee in the morning!

29. Caffeine makes me shakey. I generally drink decaf coffee.

30. I’m a caffeine addict, and definitely feel the withdrawals when I don’t have it. I don’t see that changing anytime soon though, lol.

31. I am not ashamed to admit I am a coffee addict! But, I also drink 90+ ounces of water a day to make up for it.

32. Have to have my coffee in the morning no doubt!

33. Stefani says:

I try to limit my caffeine intake because I hate when it effects my sleeping.

34. Jenn says:

I might consume a caffeinated beverage twice per year. When I do if gives me a feeling of euphoria almost like a strong pain killer. Weird!

I try to stay away from the caffeine

36. Jennifer says: